“Be still and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10
This blog is supposed to be a little separate and to the side, not entirely connected to any of the previous or upcoming posts. I guess you could say that this is a bonus blog post.
For all the people out there who struggle with negativity, including those who are known pessimists – this post is meant for you.
I myself struggled for years with negative statements, comments and critical attitudes. I’ve tried everything that everyone has suggested, but it never lasted and only made me more miserable.
One day, I was very miserable about everything. I complained to God saying I don’t know what to do, how to end this negativity in my life. God’s answer and solution to my problem? Take you focus of from the negative things and put your focus on the positive things. What you focus on and think about becomes part of who you are and what you do.
God then showed me very easy ways to break these bad habits and lifestyle:
- Develop a thankful heart:
To develop a thankful heart, every morning before becoming still, take out your journal and write down 5 things you are thankful/grateful things. It does not have to be big or small, as long as you find 5 things to be grateful for. I have written down things such as warm water bottle, friendship, Bible, blankets, fruit juice. You can be grateful for anything.
- If you feel after 3 months you are beginning to get used to this every day, then make the list slightly bigger by making it now 7 things to be thankful/grateful for. Do this every 3-6 months, and your life will change and your view for negativity will begin to disappear with time.
- Note the word develop – it takes endurance and persistence until you notice a break through.
- Encourage others:
What I did was send an encouraging verse or picture or prayer to all my email buddies and whatsapp friend, every single morning, week in and week out. People’s lives has changed because of that. Some of my friends have now started coming back to me saying, “You send me a message every time I ask God something and you end up answering my prayers.” Your encouragement causes people to encourage you back.Encouragement and positivity grows and start spreading like wildfire and lots and lots of consistency, even on the days when I feel like I don’t want to and still do it.
- Give and it will be given back to you.
- My own cell group has been encouraged and blessed in such a big way but what I do that some of the people has now started contributing out of their own to encourage the cell group and their own friends daily.
- Instead of judging and criticising people, take some time to ask God for a word of encouragement for the people around them. Write those words and scripture or prayer down and give it to that person.
Some people ask and wonder, what does quiet time have to do with praying and waiting for your Boaz or Ruth?
The answer is simple.
You learn to do the following while single and pursuing God in quiet time:
- Communication skills are developed and formed
- One of the biggest causes to divorces is bad communication skills, especially a lack of listening abilities.
- You learn to listen and hear.
- You make God your firm foundation and main focus in life
- No marriage will survive very long and stand strong if God is not the foundation of that marriage.
- You learn to serve, encourage and build upMany people tend to be very selfish and self-centred in a relationship or marriage, causing quarrels and criticism and unhappiness.
- You learn to take your focus off from yourself and love others around you.
I honestly hope that this short series of quiet time helped in some way and encourages you to pursue God with all that you have. May God bless you like you have never been blessed before!